Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pamela Froman's Interview with The Jewelry Brief

Style Setters: The Jewelry Brief Interviews Pamela Froman

Individuality is the underlying theme of beauty for Pamela Froman’s designs. In her words, “the more a piece is worn, the more beautiful it is because it becomes part of the person’s essence”.

Pamela Froman was born and raised in Manhattan. After attending the Fashion Institute of Technology she began her career in Paris, designing jewelry for top European couturier salons, including Courreges, Cacharel, Carita, Guy Larouche, and Valentino. In 2006, shortly after the launch of Pamela Froman Fine Jewelry, Pamela was given the “Rising Star” Award by the JCK Show in Las Vegas. Since then, the accolades have not stopped; including recognition by In Design Magazine, the Woman’s Jewelry Association, Town & Country and the MSJA.

Pamela Froman’s unique style incorporates color, form and texture. Texture is possibly the singular feature that sets her jewelry apart from other designers. The “Crush”, as she calls it, is a hand-hammering technique used by Pamela to create individual, irregular surfaces. In fact, all of her jewelry is hand made, so no two pieces ever look exactly alike. They have either a free-form scrolling or organic shape or an “old world” feel with Maltese crosses, wonderful oversized links and amulet-style shapes. Color often comes from the metal itself, and combinations of platinum and gold or different alloys of gold are a recurring theme. The play of light on the hammered metal creates stunning hues. An array of different colored stones is the basis of the Scroll Cap Earring limited edition collection. As a self proclaimed “Rock Hound”, I could not help but love these earrings, as well as all of Pamela Froman’s designs.

How would you describe your personal [jewelry] style?

Sexy and Versatile: I like to design pieces that can be worn casual or dressed-up, because I think jewelry should be worn, not locked away in a safe. I also believe jewelry should make a woman feel sexy, and I definitely design with that in mind.

What inspires your creative designs?

Old-world European architecture has inspired a lot of my designs, especially scrolly wrought iron gates, and the beautiful domes of St. Petersburg. I also look at fabrics, and textured rocks, and often the gemstones I choose influence the design.

Bonus Answer (My favorite design elements)

I love irregular surfaces, so most of my Collection is textured with a special hand-hammering technique I call “Crushed.” Combined with a Satin finish, this Crushed texture gives a much softer, more natural feel to the metal. Aside from the texture, one of my favorite design elements is the Scroll; it’s a very organic, feminine shape, and I love the way it flows.

Past or present who has most influenced your direction in life?

That would have to be my Mother. She is a well-known sculptor, but was a shoe designer when I was a kid. She always encouraged my creativity, and taught me to look at the world artistically. My Mother is also the reason I went to FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology, NYC); I originally majored in Fashion Design but, while I was there, I discovered my true calling was to be a Jewelry Designer and switched majors.

What are some of your favorite cities?

Visually, artistically, I love Budapest, Prague, Lucerne and Paris; even though I lived in Paris for 3 years, whenever I visit, I am still inspired by its beauty and amazed by it’s nuances. Of course, I can’t leave NYC off the list! I grew up in Manhattan and, though I live in California now, I’m a New York City Girl through and through.

What do you love most about what you do?

I love having the freedom to design whatever I am inspired to design, and then bringing my vision to life. At the beginning of my career, I worked in Paris, designing jewelry for top European couturier salons, including Courreges, Cacharel, Carita, Guy Larouche, and Valentino. While I enjoyed the challenge of designing for established labels, I was constrained by the vision of each company. I felt the need to express my personal style, which is why I decided to launch my signature line. And, by having my own line, I’ve discovered the icing on the cake: when I travel to stores for events, I get to meet the people who buy my creations! I love how the perfect piece becomes part of the wearer, and seeing their excitement brings me joy.

What are you working on right now?

So many things! I’m really feeling drawn to the cool tones right now, and have been designing a lot with blue-toned stones like Aquamarine and Rainbow Moonstone; I just did a crazy-long Rainbow Moonstone necklace that I’m in love with! I recently launched a new collection called Arabesque Crush: scrolly pieces made with 18k pink and yellow gold and warm-toned gemstones like Peach Moonstone and Fire Opal, but my new pieces for winter will mostly be 18k yellow and white with blue and purple stones, so keep an eye out for that! Also, I have amassed a collection of unique gemstones that I’m using to design a collection of cool one-of-a-kind rings. Oh, and my one-of-a-kind and limited-edition colored stone cap earrings have gained a following, so I’ve been having fun expanding that collection as well. And, in the middle of all this, I make time to be with my Favorite Creation, my 5-year-old son, Hudson!


About The Jewelry Brief and its author
(copied from jewelrybrief.com)
The author is a jewelry historian, gemologist, and a passionate jewelry enthusiast! The purpose of the brief is to foster those already sharing the same passion for jewelry and to inspire those just curious through a mix of informative articles about the latest jewelry fashion trends, jewelry history, collecting and collections, and gemstones.
Jewelry is a decorative art, and should be collected like fine art. It has the ability to express love, power and glamour. The right jewelry can make any outfit.

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts